Questioning Everything

One learns about themselves by questioning themselves. I'm here to learn.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Do It

Question:

What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?

Answer:

I chose this question because it is uncomfortable for me right now.  There is one major thing I haven't done.  It's not something I necessarily want to do, but I feel it's something that I need to do.

I have never lived alone.

I haven't been without a man (boyfriend/husband/whatever) since I was fourteen years old.  I've gone from one to the next to the next.  In that whole process, I never really gave myself the opportunity to discover just who I am.  I've always lived for the other person.  Not that it was a bad thing.  It just wasn't something that allowed me to grow as me

What held me back?  To be brutally honest, I'd have to say fear.  Since I haven't been alone, I don't know how to do it.  It is counter-productive to the life that I want to live.  I am a non-confrontational person, and always relied on the man to do those things that might require a heavier voice.  Where I am okay with trying my hand at things that require heavy lifting, power tools, etc., there is really only so much I can do (I'm working on those muscles, though!).

I have finally taken the steps needed to remedy this situation, despite how difficult it is for me to do.  It wasn't an easy decision for me to make, to break ties that I so desperately wanted to hold.  But, I had to be honest, for myself, but for him, as well.  Because, truth be told, I think the desperation was more a fear of being alone than anything else.

There is so much more that goes into that whole line of thought, but it is not for here.   For here is the fact that I have identified what I needed to do, and have finally done it.  It may be late in the years for it, but better late than never, right?

I'm letting go.


Question found at:  http://sobadsogood.com/2012/05/28/30-questions-that-will-change-the-way-you-think/

0 comments:

Post a Comment